Monday, May 3, 2010

Whew- Editing.

Some days are writing days, and some days are editing days. That's what I've been discovering lately. Yesterday was an editing day for me, so I got to work on Chapter six. My past experience in editing haven't been anything too thrilling- in fact, it felt like "here we go AGAIN... gonna read that same section over.... AGAIN... Oh, don't like that word... I'm gonna change it, AGAIN..." and so on. But really, when you think about it... You should be able to read a good book over and over.

Like how if the author has a hard time writing their story because they're bored with it, they must add something new and exciting that gets them excited about it again. Because most likely, if the writer doesn't like it, why should the reader?
In a similar way, editing also helps with that I think. If you get to a scene that you find particularly boring, or maybe it just doesn't sound right, and is a tad confusing... That's when you edit. If you write by Seat-of-the-Pants, like I do, then by the time you've finished writing your story's first draft, you'll have found out SOOOOO much more about your story, that editing is inevitable. It's necessary to make the story work start to finish. After writing the first draft of the main story for Thaihaelon, I went back and looked at my first five chapters- (they can be read here if you so wish.) which I'd started editing with my Mum... And although in general, they were correct to the story, I realized that I could also add subtle hints as to possibilities to perhaps add a bit of mystery for the reader.

And on the topic of subtle hints, plot twists in writing and editing. When you start writing a prequel things can go really crazy then. Within the four-thousand-four-hundred-and-seventy-five words I have written and hundreds of crazy ideas whirling around in my head, there is SO MUCH that'll need to happen in the way of editing, primarily from second tower onwards. Like this for example: Minotaurs and Centaurs were not the only intelligent species that populated the world of Thaihaelon. (UNWARNIA SPOIELRS: a disorder that usually writers and readers get. It causes the person who has it to blurt out story/game/movie/TV-show spoilers without warning.) And I'll leave you on that for now. Hopefully I'll post again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment